For the last few years, we’ve been thinking of a family word to describe how we want our new year to go. We also pick a Bible verse to go along with that word. We have this great wall on our way down the stairs to put it on, so we can read the verse daily, either as we’re going out, or just in passing as we’re going down the stairs. (Here is last year’s verse).
Here is this years verse! I gave Autumn some watercolour, so she painted the background. I love the way it turned out because it looks kind of like a tree, which fits very well because our word is GROWTH.
Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him.
Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong.
We picked growth because we’ve been going to our church for almost two years, and we’re wanting to continue to grow in community there. We’re planning on growing in our relationship with each other, with our children and with our friends. We want to grow in our jobs, and we want to grow in our spirituality. Grow felt like the right choice for this year for all these reasons and more, and this verse fit really well.
Do you choose a word or a verse for the year? What did you choose?
Aiden’s first month went by like a flash, as months seem to when you have babies.. it was such a great month though! Aiden is fitting really nicely into our family, it’s like he’s always been here.
It’s been a month of growth though. Aiden eats every 1.5-2 hours during the day, and every 3-4 hours at night (which is really nice). He’s a great sleeper, and he constantly wakes up in good spirits. He has already started smiling, and it’s the cutest thing! He has a lot of kicks and punches to do, and he really enjoys being upright so he can look around. I’m not sure of his exact measurements, but Aiden has grown out of most of his newborn clothes. He’s mostly in size 0-3 and 3 month things now.
He LOVES his sister. I shared that top picture because of the look on Autumn’s face, she loves him, too. But he can be fussing in his swing, and he calms down when she comes up to him. The way they look at each other is so great.
Autumn has been adjusting really well. She loves to bring us his hat, his shoes, or a blanket. She likes to bring books over to show him. She just likes looking at him and pointing out his facial features. There has only been one incident where she poked him in the eye, and everyone cried after that, but she is very gentle with him. She just wants to be near him. Which made taking the 1 month photos a little more difficult 😉 It’s sweet how she dotes on him.
Looking forward to seeing what his second month will be like <3
I’ve been thinking about this since pretty much right after Christmas. Last year, instead of having specific resolutions, I chose a word and focused on that for the year. You can read about it here. I also chose a verse, not included in that post, that went along with my word. I also wrote out the verse and framed it and placed it in a prominent place in our home so we would see it before we went out. (You can find the verse in this post)
I decided I wanted to do the same thing this year. The only difference is, I’ve chosen a personal word for myself, and I chose a family verse with my husband.
My word of the year for 2016 is Growth.
It may seem pretty obvious as to why I might have chosen this word, but the more I thought about it and what it means to me right now, more things are being associated with it.
- We’re growing our family this year. In May we will be welcoming another little one into our family, so this word works for our family as well.
- Growing in relationship with God. I have a myriad of excuses as to why I’m not reading my bible/doing devotionals, etc, and I’m not going to bore you with them here. I will say that I would like to focus on growing this aspect of my life, and I think a good first step will be to find someone who will be accountable with me (or we could be accountable to each other). I don’t know exactly what it looks like, but this is something I would like to work on.
- Growing in relationship with friends and family. A pretty unfortunate part about having a baby is it makes you realize who you can really count on. I wouldn’t say that I have less friends now than I did a year ago, but I will say that some relationships have definitely weakened and some have gotten stronger. I would love to maintain my friendships, and grow the deepness of relationships with my friends and family, especially as a new baby comes and this loss of friendship potentially happens again.
- I would like to grow my blog. I had been posting daily, and then Autumn was born and I started posting three times a week, but I would like to go back to posting daily. I miss it, really. I’d like to see it go further as well. So growing my blog is a huge goal of mine.
- Just growing personally. I don’t have anything specific I want to do or be, and I could say that I want to be kinder, or friendlier, or whatever.. but ultimately, January 1, 2017, I want to be able to look back over the last year and know that I’ve worked on myself. And I’ll figure out exactly what that means over the next year.
Our family verse of the year:
The Lord will protect you on your journeys — whether going or coming — from now until forever from now
Do you choose a word for the year, or a verse? What was yours?