I’ve been thinking about this since pretty much right after Christmas. Last year, instead of having specific resolutions, I chose a word and focused on that for the year. You can read about it here. I also chose a verse, not included in that post, that went along with my word. I also wrote out the verse and framed it and placed it in a prominent place in our home so we would see it before we went out. (You can find the verse in this post)
I decided I wanted to do the same thing this year. The only difference is, I’ve chosen a personal word for myself, and I chose a family verse with my husband.
My word of the year for 2016 is Growth.
It may seem pretty obvious as to why I might have chosen this word, but the more I thought about it and what it means to me right now, more things are being associated with it.
- We’re growing our family this year. In May we will be welcoming another little one into our family, so this word works for our family as well.
- Growing in relationship with God. I have a myriad of excuses as to why I’m not reading my bible/doing devotionals, etc, and I’m not going to bore you with them here. I will say that I would like to focus on growing this aspect of my life, and I think a good first step will be to find someone who will be accountable with me (or we could be accountable to each other). I don’t know exactly what it looks like, but this is something I would like to work on.
- Growing in relationship with friends and family. A pretty unfortunate part about having a baby is it makes you realize who you can really count on. I wouldn’t say that I have less friends now than I did a year ago, but I will say that some relationships have definitely weakened and some have gotten stronger. I would love to maintain my friendships, and grow the deepness of relationships with my friends and family, especially as a new baby comes and this loss of friendship potentially happens again.
- I would like to grow my blog. I had been posting daily, and then Autumn was born and I started posting three times a week, but I would like to go back to posting daily. I miss it, really. I’d like to see it go further as well. So growing my blog is a huge goal of mine.
- Just growing personally. I don’t have anything specific I want to do or be, and I could say that I want to be kinder, or friendlier, or whatever.. but ultimately, January 1, 2017, I want to be able to look back over the last year and know that I’ve worked on myself. And I’ll figure out exactly what that means over the next year.
Our family verse of the year:
The Lord will protect you on your journeys — whether going or coming — from now until forever from now
Do you choose a word for the year, or a verse? What was yours?